Lynda McIntosh, MCIPR
Award-winning, solutions-focused leader with over 15 years of higher education experience in research communications, marketing and engagement. Work creatively to develop campaigns, events and stakeholder engagement to promote research. Draw on data and an understanding of an organisation’s business objectives to offer strategic advice and the most effective communications and marketing solution.
• Strategy development • User research and content strategy
• Budget and resource planning • Digital marketing
• Publications • Campaign planning
• Project & event management • Reputation management
• Stakeholder engagement • Internal communications
Research Communications and Marketing Manager
Division of Communications and Marketing, The University of Manchester-Oct 2019 to present
Research Communications and Marketing Manager - Jan 2014 to present
Faculty of Humanities, The University of Manchester
Communications and Marketing Manager/Officer
Sustainable Consumption Institute, The University of Manchester - Jul 2009 – Dec 2014
National Institute for Health Research School of Primary Care - Jul 2007 – Jun 2009
National Primary Care Research & Development Centre - Jan 2005 – Jun 2009
Key responsibilities (current)
- Lead the coordination of Research Excellence Framework (REF) communications and the development of a research communications strategy for REF 2021;
- Co-chair REF Comms Hub to ensure requests for communications and marketing support, training and evidence are managed in a timely and efficient way across the University;
- Lead and develop a research communications and marketing strategy for the Faculty of Humanities to ensure that research-related communications and marketing activity supports the University’s Research Strategy and Communications and Marketing Plan; and
- Evaluate and monitor the effectiveness of our research communications support through the development of key performance indicators (KPIs) and ensure that they are in line with higher education and research standards across Russell Group universities.
- Established a Faculty-wide research communications and marketing network;
- Created a Faculty-wide creative identity project (Humanities: In Focus) to profile world-shaping researchers;
- Developed first University Research Communications Conference to upskill staff and develop a one-team approach;
- Social media campaigns on sustainability, data, and ageing-related research with successive increases in engagement;
- Developed a social media reporting template to provide research directors easy-to-use analytics;
- Secondment with the Greater Manchester Combined Authority’s GM Ageing Hub to provide communications advice, develop stronger links, and to promote the University‘s research on ageing;
- Secondment with Policy@Manchester (P@M) to support the Head of Communications and Marketing, embed P@M’s training provision within Learning and Development, and to mentor the Policy Communications and Engagement team.
- Making a Difference Award for Social Responsibility 2018 for Outstanding Contribution to Environmental Sustainability.